Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Curry, I love ya.
















I have a love affair with curry. I'm sure that the feeling is mutual. Chocolate may be my sweet obsession; curry, however, is my savory obsession.

The affair began with advances from curry, which I initially rebuffed. During undergrad, I spent the summer in England. Outside of India itself, England is Indian food heaven. Despite the environment, I found no love for curry.

Later, when I moved to Dallas, I lived across the hall from a wonderful Indian lady. Daily, I could smell her wonderful spices and was often treated to her Indian cuisine. Even then, I had no love for curry. I ate it to please my friend. Secretly, however, I was indifferent toward the spice.

I moved back to the Midwest and curry chased me across the country, ever tenacious. Finally, my mom's curry chicken salad sandwich, which she created to serve at our coffeehouse, turned my relationship with curry into requited love. I ate curry. And I liked it.

On a recent day (which is really every day) I was craving curry. I knew we were having chicken breasts and vegetables for dinner, but that sounded too boring to me. I racked my brain for how I could serve these foods, but also satisfy my craving for curry. In a cook's flash, it came to me. The result -- craisin & mango curry chutney & a curry yogurt sauce that you can use multiple ways if you, too, are involved with curry.


Craisin & Mango Curry Chutney
(A Shopgirl original)


2 tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 white onion, chopped in thin slices
2 mango, peeled, pitted and chopped in 1/4 - 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup craisins
1/2 cup cranberry juice (preferably unsweetened)
2 tblsp. cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. mild curry
1/2 tsp. hot curry
1/4 tsp. cardamom
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Warm up olive oil over medium to low heat in a medium skillet. Add red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add onion and saute for 20-30 minutes or until onions soften and start to caramelize. Add mango, craisin, cider vinegar and brown sugar. Stir until all is incorporated. Add the two curries, cardamom and ground pepper. Bring the chutney up to a simmer and allow to simmer until liquid dissipates. Put on low heat and cover for 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Chutney is ready when mango and craisins are soft, the chutney is thick and flavors are melded together.

How to serve: Serve warm or cold over chicken breasts or pork chops. This chutney, however, has so many possible uses. Use your imagination!

Curry Yogurt Sauce
(A Shopgirl original)


1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 tsp. mild curry
1/2 tsp. hot curry
1/4 tsp. garam masala (Found in the spice aisle or in the ethnic aisle of your grocery store)
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. worchestire sauce
1 tbsp. olive oil

In a small bowl combine all ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours before serving.

How to serve: Serve as a dipping sauce for raw vegetables or bread. I roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes & baby carrots and tossed them after roasting with the sauce until it was lightly coated. I served more yogurt sauce on the side for dipping. This would also make a great addition to a chicken or veggie pita sandwich.

I will leave you with this ode to curry poem I found recently. I hope that your own love affair blossoms.





Poem to Curry
by William Makepeace Thackeray in 1846



Three pounds of veal my darling girl prepares,
And chops it nicely into little squares;
Five onions next prures the little minx
(The biggest are the best, her Samiwel thinks),
And Epping butter nearly half a pound,
And stews them in a pan until they’re brown’d.
What’s next my dexterous little girl will do?
She pops the meat into the savoury stew,
With curry-powder table-spoonfuls three,
And milk a pint (the richest that may be),
And, when the dish has stewed for half an hour,
A lemon’s ready juice she’ll o’er it pour.
Then, bless her! Then she gives the luscious pot
A very gentle boil - and serves quite hot.
PS - Beef, mutton, rabbit, if you wish,
Lobsters, or prawns, or any kind fish,
Are fit to make a CURRY. ‘Tis, when done,
A dish for Emperors to feed upon.




No comments:

Post a Comment