Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Adventures In Cooking

I have become a cooking (and baking) fiend. Husband thinks I am nesting. Maybe so. Or maybe my previous illness that left me for several days with little appetite and no sense of taste made me realize how important good food is to me. Or maybe our honeymoon orange brioche discovery made me be inspired to also replicate such savory, inspiring food.

Here is a partial list of things I've made since arriving home from our honeymoon:

Creamy Curry Cauliflower Soup
Corn Chowder
White Chicken Chili
(Yes, I was craving soup.)
Leg of Lamb
Calconnon made with parsnips & kale
(these previous two dishes were part of our Authentic Irish Meal -- Husband is half Irish)
Lamb & Tomato Ragu
Fried Eggs over organic rye toast & our own spinach, tomato & garlic salad
Coconut Macaroons(made a 2nd version with orange peel -- even more delectable)
Flourless French Chocolate Cake
Applesauce Spice Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
This latter dessert was not only beautiful but toungespirational. (Yikes! I'm making up words.)

Husband thought it was so beautiful that he put it on our cake platter, in the middle of our dining table & took lots of pictures of IT. Then we swiftly cut into it and shared a piece -- moist & flavorful. It's a dessert that 35 year old foodies & 3 year old chocolate lovers both devour. This is true as I saw both happen before my eyes. I made this dessert for a dinner party. Their 3-year-old daughter devoured 2 pieces. Made my day!

Here is the recipe for this amazing cake! What also makes it amazing is that you only need one bowl, and you won't even have to pull out your mixer. I found it at Gourmet Magazine online.

Spiced Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine online

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (Shopgirl says don't be afraid! Just do it.)
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
One 12-ounce bag semisweet-chocolate chips (I used half dark chocolate chips, half semisweet)
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Crème fraîche, for serving (Um, yeah, where do you find this in the Midwest? So, I disregarded this ingredient. Don't think anyone missed it.)

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the granulated sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, cloves and pepper. Whisk in the applesauce, eggs, oil and melted butter. Fold in the chocolate chips.
2. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached.
3. Transfer the pan to a rack and let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then invert it onto the rack and let cool completely, about 20 minutes. Sift confectioners’ sugar over the cake, slice and serve with crème fraîche.

I'm off to plan my next adventure...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Heather, you've been busy! Also, your list is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Anne. P.S. I'm a lurker on your blog. I love its design!

    ReplyDelete